Monday, April 13, 2020

Unprecedented Times

Hi, how are ya?

Is anyone on Coronavirus overload? Are you navigating your days without thoughts of this global pandemic ruling your course? 

I find it hard to be still. To sit. To hold a thought. I feel I haven't one original idea in my head in weeks. I poke my head out of isolation to check on the news, check in with friends & family and simply check out of being productive.

These are the things I know to be true:
  • I have not vacuumed in at least three weeks
  • This could be the perfect time to let my hair go natural since everyone in the world who colors their hair is dealing with "root" issues right now
  • I didn't exercise in the "before", so why would I start now?
  • Our cars are telling us to STAY HOME (major repairs on both cars in our household plus a frozen gas cap to prevent fueling up on one car)

I have done nothing extraordinary during this completely out of the ordinary time. This past weekend, I washed my hair and bedding one day; washed another load of laundry and enjoyed a "Parenthood" DVD series marathon the next day; then gave myself a manicure/pedicure the third day. It was a typical weekend for me. 

We are still existing on the toilet paper, Kleenex, disposable wipes, meat, basic groceries/supplies and hair color we had on hand prior to the state of emergency being declared. Yes, I have topped up "all of the above" as supplies diminished but I haven't bought groceries for eleven days. And now that I've discovered on-line grocery shopping and pick-up I may never shop again!

I go about my days relatively unaffected by the virus which is currently ruling the world. For this, I am eternally grateful. 

There is a part of me that doesn't want to go back to the "before". 

The endless list of errands and running around? The past month has shown this to be a futile effort. Yes, our household is in the habit of keeping a back-up supply of that which we use the most. That has proven to be a blessing. I don't mind the STAY HOME recommendation. It is what I aim for each and every weekend.

The empty social calendar? Pure and utter relief. Yes, I know I feel this way because the options will open up in the weeks and months to come. But I find socializing hard. An empty calendar is what I strive to attain. I got my wish.

Phone calls? I am loving visiting by phone. We can be home, be comfortable, grab a cup of coffee and just visit without worrying about a thing. I have utilized this phone-time to deal with the excessive cat hair. Our dry mop and lint brush have become my new favorite household tools.

We splurged and ordered in McDonald's last night. Is take-out food safe to consume during this time of isolation and distancing? I subconsciously weighed the risks and felt that all precautions necessary would be taken in the preparation of outbound food and delivery. I turned on the radio this morning, to hear that an employee (at the very McDonald's we ordered from) tested positive for COVID-19 and that location is closed for a thorough cleaning at the moment. 

Hmmm ...

McDonald's and me go way back. "All roads lead to McDonald's" is a personal motto of mine. "You deserve a break today" is my theme song and has validated my regular customer status. It does seem only fitting that McDonald's could be my downfall.

Life happens.

My wish for all is that life is unfolding okay for you during this unprecedented time in our history. Be well and stay safe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment