Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Digging Deep

The timing was impeccable. As I sorted through memory boxes and that which I have collected over the years, it was already on my radar. I was missing a box. 

Who would have guessed my son would ask me questions that would lead me to search for that specific box one day later? "I need to interview you for my class - I will need to know details about my birth, learning to walk ..." and my hearing faded to black as I realized how few details I can recall. Everything I need to know is in this house somewhere.

Me: [walking to my bedroom closet and looking at a shelf where the missing box used to reside, as if this would give me a clue as to its current location] This is where it used to be...
Son: We don't need to do this tonight
Me: I know I wouldn't throw it away. I know it. 
Son: Let's not worry about this now
Me: What did I do with it?!?

I wandered downstairs and dug through collection of tax papers - mine, Mom's & Dad's. Each box was clearly defined as "tax stuff". I pulled out one box after another and was just starting to lose hope when I spotted something that didn't look like income tax [I love those see through storage containers]. There it was!


As excited as I was to find the missing box, I was even more elated to discover "this" was the box I would like to use, to organize my cards. Ooooo!! I can't wait to get back, dig into this, dig deeper into this whole decluttering project and find efficient "forever homes" for that which I have kept.

My heart sank at the knowledge that I must deal with three lifetimes worth of paperwork as well. But on the flip side, shredding these documents will give me a whole heap of storage containers which will serve a much better purpose than holding onto that which was obsolete decades ago.

I unearthed the "Baby's First Year" calendar I knew would hold the answers my son will be asking when we make the time for this interview. The questions go deeper than my memory so I need a little help. This also reaffirms my defense that there IS a reason we hold onto this stuff.

What else will I discover as I continue to mine for gold within this house of ours? Time will tell.

P.S. I found an unexpected bonus while digging through the boxes - four long lost cat toys!! There was something in this for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment