Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Pandora's Box

We woke up to a fresh, new calendar page this morning. A clean slate. A fresh new beginning.

I look at my personal calendar and I feel refreshed as I look at a blank page with no appointments, no upcoming commitments and thirty days of empty boxes.

Then I open the door to my home office. The same thirty days is filled to the brim with must-do, hope-to-accomplish, and endless to-do-lists. 

How can the same calendar page, only eight steps away, feel so different? Does the inability to catch up with my bookkeeping job spill out into the hallway and zap my energy reserves I have within my own personal life?

I am grateful for my office-with-a-door. I close the door in the same fashion one manages a closet filled to capacity and the contents must be stuffed back inside as one struggles to shut the door. My home office feels just a little bit like Pandora's Box. 

Is it by accident or design that our vacuum cleaner has taken up residence just outside my office door? I thought I had left the vacuum cleaner out, to encourage a spur of the moment vacuuming binge over the weekend. Instead, it appears this cleaning appliance is sitting outside the door of plenty, just waiting for the moment to clean up whatever spills outside the door.

I think it's time to get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment