Monday, September 14, 2020

Taming the Beast

After a weekend of sorting, culling and organizing papers, cards, family history and memorabilia, this is the not-as-messy-middle ground I must live with until next time:


I found things I didn't even know I had: 
  • souveniers from P.E.I., that could have only come from Mom after her trip out there in 1984
  • a scribbler Mom had saved from my "playing school" days, where I made up a day plan, wrote out assignments for my imaginary class, did the assignment myself, then marked it myself, back in the teacher role
  • Christmas, birthday and "just because" cards from Mom with little more than her name signed, but the knowledge she had spent time to find just the right card - I have sorted them according to category and plan to pull out a random card to fit the occasion and feel Mom's presence when I miss her
  • a forwarded email from my brother, to my sister (who had asked him for their punch recipe):
  1. Curl fingers toward fist
  2. Be careful not to tuck thumb inside fist. Broken thumbs may occur
  3. Now raise fist up
  4. Look directly at target
  5. For increased power and velocity, twist hip and shoulder toward target as you deliver punch
  6. For added joy and effectiveness, follow this punch with another from the opposite hand
  7. This is known as the old one-two
Hope this has been helpful.

And I found more. So much more. Buried treasure was found within the massive heap of years worth of collecting that which felt special at the time. 

A new week is upon me and I had to sort myself out of the messy middle and tame the beast until next time. Funny thing is, I am actually looking forward to the next time.

Taking one hard step in a direction you want to go isn't easy, but it is almost always worth the effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment