Tuesday, September 29, 2020

The Wonderful World of Libraries

It is ironic, since I have Mom's library of books showcased and begging to be read, that this year I have rediscovered the wonderful world within our local library.

I have a very hard time holding onto a thought long enough to read and stay awake at the same time. So I have indulged myself in reading whatever has grabbed my attention in order to try to re-instill the habit of reading. 

Even amid the COVID world, I was able to place holds on books that caught my attention, reserve a time to pick them up, then check them out without breaking the 6 foot social distancing barrier. 

The library offers a vast variety of books, old and new. The ability to read for pleasure, to pursue an interest or to educate yourself on whatever piques your interest is available to all. Absolutely free of charge.

Whenever I check out a book, my library receipt tells me how much I've saved by utilizing the library. I find positive reinforcement at every turn.

I have been watching my pennies very carefully this month. Yet I was still able to treat myself to reading Alex Trebek's new book "The Answer Is", thanks to my friendly neighborhood library.

The library is only one of many offerings that is out there available at no cost. 
  • Sitting on your doorstep and breathing in fresh air, sunshine and nature
  • A walk to anywhere
  • Catching up with a friend
  • Writing (I would add letter writing but there is the small cost of a stamp which is still the best value for your dollar in my opinion)
  • Sitting still with yourself and allowing yourself to dream
  • Going through photo albums, cards, letters or memorabilia you have collected
  • Housecleaning (hey, it's free and actually quite satisfying once you get past the hard part of starting)
Look around you. See what you can come up with. Some of the best things in life are free.

No comments:

Post a Comment