Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Three Bonus Days

February was quite literally the shortest month I have ever experienced. 

Not only was the month cut short by the extra two to three days we are accustomed to, but two of those precious days were Saturday and Sunday. All of my month end deadlines had to be met on or before February 26th.

It was a marathon. When I woke up on the morning of the 26th, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. All my February deadlines had been met.

Then I woke up to March. More deadlines, a never ending line up of work-to-do and continually playing "catch up". A sense of weariness washed over me.

Then I counted the week days March has in store. I have 23 week days to complete the jobs I have on hand. Three bonus days!! 

Eureka! I felt as though I had struck gold.

March marks the beginning of the end of winter. I well remember how I felt when March rolled around when I was daycaring. We would find ways to navigate the mud and grime from the melting snow and we would go outside as much as we could. I would quite literally park myself in a sunbeam and soak up all the Vitamin D I could endure.

March feels different this year.

It marks the one year anniversary of when most of us were impacted by COVID-19. It celebrates the beginning of the end of what could have felt like the longest winter in history. Not only is spring on the horizon but vaccinations and a ray of hope is emerging with the sun.

March will bring its share of surprises, unexpected weather and events. We never know what tomorrow will bring. But can I be very selfish for a moment and add "If you are working within the world of accounting, deadlines and numbers ... you have three extra days to complete your job this month. Yee haw!!"

Then ... we will wake up to April. The month where spring is in the air, the hours of sunshine are far exceeding those of moonlight, dreams of summer are on the horizon and (yes) income taxes are due to be filed.

Deadlines make the world go 'round. It is the world's way to help us appreciate those bonus days whenever we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment