Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Pride and Joy

Pride and joy are often words used by parents, old and new, to describe their children. Words that depict unconditional and unwavering love and support. As we wade into June, a month dedicated to celebrating those who are in the LGBTQ+ community (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer and all who don't fit into the narrow guidelines of sexual and gender norms), I want to write a little story. Bit by bit, piece by piece, much in the manner I have lived and learned over the past few years. I want to celebrate a newfound pride I have come to celebrate quietly on a daily basis.

June marks the birthday of my youngest child. A child who has unveiled who they are. First of all to themselves and gradually to family, friends and their community. My pride and joy celebrates a birthday in the month when PRIDE is celebrated in our country.

Pride. To try and fit yourself into who you think the world thinks you should be, to tamp down your truest self to fit into society, to have to educate the world into acceptance and understanding ... these are things so many take for granted. What if YOU had to offer education, guidance, understanding and compassion to those trying to accept who you are so you could feel a strong sense of "pride" within?

What if you had to "come out" and reveal yourself to those within your world? What if who you are wasn't the societal "norm"? Why DO we need to come out at all? Why can't we simply celebrate "It's a Baby!!" Why do we automatically assign labels?

The greatest gift we have is when we find "our people". Those who we trust with our innermost thoughts and hear the quiet echo of "me too", within their response. One of the saddest phrases my child recently told me, upon meeting someone they could speak with openly and honestly, were the words, "It's the first time I truly felt someone got me". The first time they felt truly heard and felt the echo of "me too" within their conversation. At the age of twenty three.

We are all unique individuals and many of us are born into a life of privilege where open acceptance is a given. Our world is widely diverse and we are born into our families, communities and countries where who we are may or may not fit into those narrow perimeters for us to be free to be who we truly are.

I want to write about what I am learning, feeling and our experience. I want to do what I can to bring a sense of "me too" into the world for those who have never truly felt heard. I hope honest conversations and open expression of who-we-are becomes the norm.

Everyone has a story. May you stop and truly listen to those who tell you a small piece of a big story. Let us live in a world where "pride" isn't something we have to fight for.

No comments:

Post a Comment