Wednesday, June 8, 2022

The Crow verses The Baby Rabbit

As promised, here is a frivolous post about my latest walking adventure.

I didn't spot a rabbit immediately upon setting out on my walk but about fifteen minutes into my morning stroll, I came upon this (note the crow on the sidewalk close to the house):


I was in the process of trying to snap a few pictures noting the way crows and rabbits peacefully co-exist in the same space with the instinctual knowledge that neither is a threat to the other, when suddenly there was a flurry of crow verses baby rabbit activity.

It happened so fast. A little rabbit darted out of the scenery above with the crow in hot pursuit. I followed the action scene, prepared to fend off the crow and come to the little one's rescue. 

The crow was perched upon the fence beside a vehicle and was glancing downward. I followed the crow's line of sight and found this baby rabbit hiding under the vehicle the crow was guarding:


I neared the fence where the crow was perched and gave the crow a stern warning. "You leave that little rabbit alone!" It is said crows are very intelligent so I expected the crow to understand my body language and tone. The crow flew up to the rooftop of the garage beside the fence and I added further warnings to my previous one, all the while standing guard beside this baby's hiding spot.

Eventually the crow flew off. The tiny little rabbit came out of hiding and hopped into the alley. I have had very little experience with baby rabbits but from my few recent encounters, they seem to act far more skittish and cagey than their adult kin. I fully expected this little guy to dart out of sight before I could focus and snap a picture. I was wrong:


This traumatized baby rabbit stayed still long enough for me to stop and admire its bravery. I left it alone in the alley, hopeful this furry little ball of rabbit recognized I was not a threat as I walked the other way (even though I would have been happy to sit and watch it all day).

What did that crow want to do with that little baby? Mean crow!! Shame on you! 

P.S. I just googled "Do crows hunt baby rabbits?" and they DO!! I may have saved a life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment