Saturday, June 4, 2022

Down an (almost) Literal Rabbit Hole

My morning walk is not dictated by a set route. I simply follow where the road takes me. Come along with me this morning ...

I decided to "turn right" and walk down the cat walk beside our home. 

This is who I found at the end of the alley. It reminded me of the rabbits who led the way after Mom died (I wrote about it here: https://colleen-lifeasiknowit.blogspot.com/2017/09/dear-mom.html), when I wasn't ready to leave her home. I embraced the memory and followed where this rabbit led:


I guess we are turning left:


Brief pit stop while checking traffic conditions before crossing a busy street:


One quick crossing before the big one:


I tailed along assuming that was the last I saw of the rabbit, but I was wrong:


Here we go on a "rabbit chase", as I walked along as slowly and quietly as I could so I wouldn't spook my new long eared friend:


Look who they met. If you look verrrrry closely in the grass beside the post on the right, with an orange tip you will note a small blur of "rabbit":


Yes, my new rabbit friend found their friend. Notice how they are pointed in different directions so when they sense peril, they can each head off in a separate direction to keep one out of danger:


Sure enough, one darted in the yard it was facing and the other headed straight down the alley:


And ... there appeared (what I can only assume may be a third rabbit because it seemed to come from a different direction than rabbit headed when it hid out of sight):


This pair lost me soon after they found each other. I guess they had had enough of the game of keeping half a block ahead of a human. So I carried on, thinking I may have hit the end of my rabbit adventures.

As I started heading back toward the direction I came from, I saw a very small moving animal off in the distance. Sure enough, even when I came closer it was still a very small animal. I am pretty sure this little one was a baby - quite small and not a hint of lightness in its brand new coat of fur, with no remnants from a shedded white winter coat:


This little one appeared to be on its own and it was very cagey with me. It darted into a back yard and was heading toward the front yard when I last saw it:


I walked to the end of the street then back in front, hoping I may see it again. No luck. So I walked around the block, came up the same back alley (anyone watching me this morning may assume I was staking out the neighborhood for some unlawful reason). I felt badly that I got the dogs in their backyards all riled up (again) but walked quickly, deciding this would end my walk for the day when ...

... look who appeared at almost exactly the same spot as before. I am guessing it was the same baby rabbit I spotted earlier. This time it turned left instead of right, never to be seen again:


I wistfully hoped to discover a rabbit in my own back yard when I arrived home but no such luck. My morning was lost down an above-ground "rabbit hole". This sure beats losing myself down a "rabbit hole" when one internet search leads to the next, next, another and yet another one.

Let yourself find your own adventure as you wander down the road of life. You never know where it may take you.

No comments:

Post a Comment