Sunday, April 7, 2019

A Most Excellent Weekend

It has been a most excellent weekend. I had few expectations but I was full of hope that it would be easy, relaxed and sprinkled with laughter. As soon as my siblings started to arrive, I knew I would not be disappointed.

We reminisced about how often we have gotten together in the past, in and around April or May. Income tax time, Easter, Mom's birthday and/or Mother's Day have been a reason for Mom to come here, for us to travel out to Mom's or meet Mom and our brother at a midway point for lunch or an overnight stay.

It felt perfect to get together at this time of year. Spring is in the air, travelling is easy and it had been a while since our last sibling visit.

In the past, Mom has been the focus of many of our visits and conversations. The past few years have been heavy. We carried the weight of our worries together and I believe the years brought us closer than ever.

Mom was not the purpose of our visit this time. Yes, we chose a comfortable and familiar time of year to unite but there was no agenda. We came together as family and visited like old friends.

Our conversations bounced all over the map. Past, present and future. It felt so easy to sit among family, talk like best friends, reminisce, catch up and dare to look beyond the moment.

I haven't hosted a family gathering for a while. I felt nervous, out of practise and uncertain how the flow of our newly renovated home would translate into a sibling sleepover. It worked very well. So well, in fact, that I found myself readying the house for my next round of guests (whoever they may be).

If I wash the sheets, they will come...

No comments:

Post a Comment