Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Technology Overload

Well? The weekend I was so grateful to find at the end of my Friday last week? The two days of grace I most look forward to even at my advanced age? Poof! Gone. All in a matter of hours, as I dealt with technological difficulties beyond my pay grade.

Saturday afternoon, I spent three and a half hours of trying to remedy my boss's computer from the comfort of my own home. I had utilized every troubleshooting tool I had in my tool kit, made calls to the antivirus tech people, Microsoft tech team and was finally told this issue had to be referred to the next layer of assistance. It was beyond the ground level of help available that day. They could not go any further until Monday. 

I made arrangements to ensure I was at work, in person, first thing Monday morning. My carefree weekend spirit went up in smoke. Poof! Just like that. The heaviness of my work week infiltrated my Saturday.

Sunday was better. I tamped down my anxiety, focused my attention on family, communication and parenting. Other than our fax answering our phone instead of the answering machine (I spent an hour on the phone with our personal printer tech team last week and they finally gave up), the day went off according to plan. I assembled a fairly decent Sunday supper. I got enough sleep. I was fortified by family. I ate well. Then I slept.

I woke up Monday morning to find my own personal computer all of a sudden did not recognize the mouse I have been using. I unplugged it, tried another mouse. That mouse didn't work either. I was instantly transported back to the anxiety ridden emotions that crested Saturday afternoon. Oh no! Not more!! Please no more technological issues!! Please? 

Then I tried plugging the mouse into a different port on the computer and my troubles were resolved instantly. This would prove to be an omen for the day ahead.

Monday morning dictated working outside our home. I made it to the office right on schedule. The first thing I did was unplug the internet router for a minute. The minute the internet connection was restored, all issues were resolved. Now that is a good way to start a week.

I was so fortified by my success that I came home, determined to resolve the fax machine beating the answering machine to the phone. I unhooked the fax machine. Guaranteed success. Right?? Wrong. I'm back to the drawing board again this morning. 

I am growing tired of troubleshooting the technology that has invaded our world. People are NOT meant to have home offices, computers and fax machines living with them in their homes. It is not the natural order of things to have your worst work nightmares move in to stay. 

But ... this is the life I have chosen, desire as much as the pay cheque itself and will continue to do everything it takes to make it work. 

Please excuse me while I make a phone call to our telephone tech team. 

May all your technology work for you today. Happy Technologically Trouble-free Tuesday to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment