Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Integrity

A quote from Mom's family history book:

"Grandma’s integrity was unshakeable. There are some things that are best taught by example and Grandma lived what she taught. A gentleman was travelling through the area and asked if he could leave a suitcase at their place and he would pick it up when he came back that way. Twenty or thirty years later, he still hadn’t returned for his suitcase. Curiosity may have gotten the best of most of us, but Grandma never once would think of looking inside the suitcase.

I searched Dad's family history document and the word integrity came up often - as Dad's brother's described their father and many of my cousins used "integrity" when encapsulating their father's (Dad's brothers) traits. My own description of Dad was this:

"I will never forget the kindness in Dad’s eyes, his willingness to take people at face value, judge them only according to how they treated him, his strong work ethic and the honesty and integrity he modeled."

Integrity. Of all the family traits I hope to have acquired, integrity tops my list. I hope it isn't just a word. I hope it is a story of the way I lived my life. 

Of all the compliments I could ever hear, the one that holds the greatest weight is hearing the words, in some capacity: "I know I can trust you with this ..."

If one thing can bring me to my knees, it is to be to be accused of betraying a confidence. It has been done. For this I am sorry beyond words.

Integrity is a character trait I can aspire to live and breathe. Hard working however? That is a family trait I hold in high esteem but I could never hold a candle to those who walk that walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment