Saturday, July 18, 2020

Need New Input

I have spent far too much time with myself lately. I got caught up in a rut where I was focused on one thing and one thing only. It is time to diversify my thinking. 

Yesterday was a very good beginning. There is nothing quite like physical labor to unclog one's thought processes. Add being outdoors to the equation and it was a very restorative day.

I woke up to a weekend this morning and finally felt I had the time to sit and listen/watch an hour long Instagram post. It was a video that I cannot sum up in a few words but if I was to attempt to summarize it, I would say it was fueled by a fire that needed to be aired, shared and put out into the world.

The fire was started with a spark. A spark can be a very good thing. It can be the beginning of a process that results in great change. A spark is also all it takes to start a forest fire. This particular spark was of the forest fire variety. 

It isn't fair for me to try to encapsulate a 55 minute dialogue in one short post. But I will say that this conversation triggered so many thoughts. It sparked a little campfire within.

I scribbled down the name of two books, an author and a quote that amused me from this very important discussion. The minute I reread what I wrote, I recognized the humor was sparked because of the great truth within the statement.

Dr Yaba Blay's words spoke loudly to me. Within the fire burning within her, she uttered this:

"I want to apologize. Not because I'm sorry, but because you had to experience my rage and my rage was intended for other people."

Wow. Is it just me? Or does anyone else hear their own truth within that apology. 

After a forest fire, there is room and potential for regrowth. There are so many important conversations going on within this world of ours. It is my fervent hope the rebuilding after these many fires starts with a solid foundation laid by so many who have so much to say.

If you have an hour to spare and are in the mood to be enlightened and/or curious, this is a conversation between Dr. Yaba Blay and Tarana Burke, with Glennon Doyle and Abby Wambach present (but mostly listening and absorbing the content): https://www.instagram.com/p/CCrektaDpNq/

No comments:

Post a Comment