Friday, July 24, 2020

Reality Check

I spent one day deep in the throes of technology overload worried about computer files, computer language and letting my boss down. One day of worry, frustration and overload about something that will not matter one week from now and will be all but forgotten in a year.

Meanwhile, during that same stretch or time, five hours to the west of me, a friend of mine was enduring a day which will be etched in their memories for the rest of their lives.

A life and death health situation landed upon their shoulders without warning. My friend's family woke up to their day just like any other. Within hours, a life was hanging in the balance. 

My friend called. She just needed to talk. That is all. The absolutely only thing in the world I could do for her was to listen.

The only bright spot within a very dark day was the way her children rallied together to support each other while their sibling waited for news about his wife.

My heart is aching for what my friend and her family are walking through right now. 

I had spent that very same day worried about a computer. I need to learn to keep things in perspective. 

How often have you found yourself caught up in a frenzy of anxiety over something that felt monumental at the time, but in the end was not the end of the world? 

Ask yourself this question: 
"Will this matter a year from now?" 
~ Richard Carlson

No comments:

Post a Comment