Monday, July 19, 2021

Feeling Like Home

Since we got possession of our little oasis, I have spent five out of six weekends there. The weekends have been seasoned generously with family, work-around-the-house-and-yard, regular meals and a little rest & relaxation.

This time felt different. 

I arrived Friday night at around 8:15. I wandered around the house and yard, then started picking a few weeds. I picked weeds and then transferred my ambition to the peeling paint on the back door frame. I picked and scraped and puttered for quite a while. It didn't feel like work. It felt good.

Time passed easily. The next thing I knew, the sun was setting and I took Mother Nature's cue and called it a day.

I awoke at 5:00 a.m. the next morning and went through my morning routine. I made my breakfast smoothie and had a cup of coffee. I altered my routine by doing ONE thing differently. I changed out of my pj's and wore yoga pants and a comfy top instead. That way, I could sit outside and feel dressed. 

This also provided one unexpected bonus. Instead of sitting still, I started sanding the door frame I had scraped the previous night.

One thing led to another and the next thing I knew, the day was done and I was ready to call it a day. I showered, walked over to the grocery store and soaked up all the cool, air conditioned air I possibly could, picked up a few vegetable courses for my meal and came home.

I sat down at the end of the day and felt good. So good. So good, that I had a repeat performance of productivity levels the next day.

I spent the bulk of my weekend in the yard. Puttering. One task led to another, then another and then some more. I ran out of weekend before I ran out of work.

"Before"
(actually after the deck was cleaned up enough to stain)

After

Three neighbors came over and introduced themselves. I'm so glad we moved in the summer. Being outside makes it so much easier to be neighborly. Plus, I was busy working and sweating so there was no expectation of looking "good". I am who I am, crazy hair, frizzled with humidity, old clothes and adorned simply by the glow of a sense of "happy" that feels better than any makeup I've ever worn.

This is the first weekend I didn't see a family member but neighbors stepped up and stepped in to fill the void. It felt like the world was telling me "Family is good. Friendly neighbors are all around. Just look up." One of my new neighbors even told me of all the connections I already have within this community. 

I feel full to the brim. I feel like I am exactly where I am meant to be and heading in a direction I was destined to find.

I feel like I'm home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment