Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Too Many Ideas, Not Enough Time

At the moment, I have started reading 3 different books. I have begun the process of putting together 2 different family histories. I am running to the dance studio 3 nights out of the week (the past few weeks anyway) and I'm determined to find a way to work in practising my dancing into my days. I know that I need to exercise - I feel better when I do and it's good for me. And ... I am trying to find a way to take some courses to steer my life in the direction I want it to take.

In the mean time, I have a steady stream of kids filing through the door and I have a pile of book keeping work sitting at my side. I have run out of home made frozen lunch entrees and need to replenish my supply of muffins as well.

I am wondering how I can fit it all in to the 24 hours of each day that I have at my disposal. I think that I should petition for a longer day. 24 hours just isn't enough (unless I fore go sleeping and I refuse to do that).

In the wake of my most relaxing and luxurious weekend of not being a master to any to-do-list and following my whims ... I'm thinking that maybe I couldn't afford to take that time off. But I know that I needed to take it. So I'm glad that I did.

Now ... I need a plan.

As I was exercising this morning, a few answers came to me. I need to delegate certain parts of my day to specific tasks that I am trying to accomplish. 45 minutes first thing in the morning to exercise; 1 1/2 hours during 'quiet/nap time' to work on the family histories; squeeze the book keeping into my days when possible and nights when I must ; and dance whenever and where ever I can. I can become 'The Dancing Babysitter'!

As I research further, into the idea of taking courses to veer me in the direction of book keeping as my next career move it's a little daunting. It is still definitely where I want to end up. But I just don't think that I can fast forward my life in that direction. The wages for a small-time-book-keeper aren't as much as what I earn running my daycare. So my original idea of weaning myself in the 'book keeping' direction was right.

Yesterday morning, I had a house full of kids. They were getting along great, the games they were playing were not annoying and the noise levels were tolerable. While I was within arms reach of my charges: I made a call (researching my book keeping goal); I wrote a letter; I perused one of the 3 books that I'm reading; squeezed in some book keeping work and probably much, much more. As I was multitasking in the comfort of my own home, earning a very comfortable salary as I was doing all of the above, I realized just how fortunate that I am.

If I was working outside of my home, I doubt very much that an employer would allow me to do all of these things as well as tend to my house/yard/ laundry/supper/and tending to my own family. These are the benefits that have no monetary value. These are the reasons that I have come to love being my own boss.

Yes, I work for numerous 'other bosses' - all of the parents of the families that I tend. They are the best bosses in the world (perhaps a little fickle at times, but good people all in all).

I get to earn a good living, live a great life and be a 'hands on mom' ... all from the comfort of home. This daycare life has created the opportunity for me to follow my 'creative self'. Being around 5 and unders all day has its challenges - one of them being the craving for adult conversation. In this lack of adult contact in my days, it has pushed me into writing more, reaching out to family and friends more ... being more.

Yes, today I feel that I am following through on a few too many of those 'great ideas'. But without the ideas, the passion and the drive ... where would I be? I would be going through the paces of that 9 - 5 job among adults and trying to squeeze the mundane tasks of house/yard/laundry/making supper/and errand-running into the few hours left over at the end of a long work day.

Last week, I was completely frustrated with my days-with-kids. This week, I've researched enough options to realize that I've got it about as good as it gets.

I'm still open to the idea of adding about 5 more hours onto our 24 hour day. But as long as I have the ideas, I'm sure I'll find the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment