Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Housecleaning 101

One of the best parts about our main floor renovation was that after the dust settled long enough to vacuum it all up, for one hot second the entire main floor felt clean.

New flooring, fresh paint, new light fixtures, baseboards, window coverings ... you name it. It was new and fresh out of the package.

It was such a good feeling to know everything was clean.

Enter ... the cats. And dust. And life in general.

It has been almost four months since the completion of our renovations. I have vacuumed, swiped down and washed these new surfaces more times than I can remember. Then last night I looked up at the kitchen blinds and noticed they needed to be washed.

I bought this handy dandy little item when I was all excited about amassing cleaning tools to keep our renewed home all clean and shiny. It sat unused until last night:


It works like a charm. It isn't perfect. It needs a little assistance from a wet cloth and I used the dust buster to clean my cleaner.

I only "cleaned" a few slats last night before putting aside this little gadget for another time. The time was this morning.

I decided to clean a blind while I made myself a cup of coffee. I stepped upon a little step stool we have in the kitchen to reach the top blind and raced with the kettle to see who could complete their task first.

I was doing well. I needed to grab the bottom of the blinds to keep them from moving while I was cleaning. Cleaning tool in one hand. Blinds in the other hand. Then "WHOOSH!" ... my step stool slid out from underneath me on my newly cleaned laminate flooring.

Luckily, I caught myself with my elbows on the counter top and simply resumed cleaning. 

Then I thought of the other option in the "choose your own adventure" fork in the road in this morning's life events.

What if I hadn't caught myself and I had conked myself on the head while tumbling to the floor with a blind and cleaning tool in my hands. The irony of sustaining a life altering or ending injury while CLEANING is not lost on me.

See?! House cleaning can be dangerous! Especially when you are out of practise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment