Sunday, June 9, 2019

I Cooked It (but they didn't come)

"If I make it, they will come...

This is a refrain that often chants through my thoughts when I have an extraordinarily ambitious burst of energy and make a family favorite dish. Yesterday was such a day.

I was sitting here alone in my own little world and I was quite certain we would have supper guests. My taste buds were set on barbequed hamburgers. The only problem with that, is I'm pretty sure our barbeque burner has cooked its last burger:


Being the very brave soul that I was, I went shopping for a replacement burner. As I made my way to the store, I decided if I could fix the barbeque I would make a potato salad to go with our burgers. Another salad to go with that, a beverage of our choosing and we would have a perfect summer meal. My youngest son will be 21 in a few days so we could call it a birthday supper and it would be perfect. 

I could smell the burgers cooking, I could hear the easy conversation over supper, I could feel the joy ... if I cook it, they will come whispered through my thoughts.

Well, the replacement burner didn't come with the screws it promised so I had to make my way back to the store to exchange it. While I was standing in line at the customer service counter, I missed a call from my son telling me they were stopping at A & W. We arrived back home at exactly the same time. My sons, with burgers (already made); me, with a barbeque part (assembly required) and uncooked burgers in the fridge.

We ate the A & W burgers. They were so good. We were all hungry and they hit the spot. "Well, you'll just have to stay for a late supper, I added. We can have hot dogs and potato salad," I promised.

The day was long and appetites were satisfied, so supper didn't come. "Lunch tomorrow, then!", I called out as I said my good-byes to my son.

The jury is still out on whether we will be able to use the barbeque (neither my son nor I felt qualified for the feat and after watching a few YouTube videos, I'm still uncertain), but I'm itching to grill the burgers I bought yesterday so I'm still hoping my "Field of Dreams" attitude will result in sharing a meal. 

If I cook it, they usually come. If they don't, I guess I can take my potato salad to work and share it with others. My dream will still be fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment