Tuesday, February 26, 2019

It's the Little Things

As our Great Renovation Project of 2019 is winding down to a close, I am truly revelling in all the little things this renovation has brought into our little world.

We are down to the finishing touches which make a big impact as everything becomes one cohesive picture of the vision we had in mind as this project took on a life of its own.

Yesterday was the installation of the lights. All the lighting upstairs is new, complimentary and updated. The living room blinds are on "delay" as we await a sale before ordering them, which gave me a sneak preview as I drove up the driveway at the end of my day.

I saw it. The new light in the living room. It looked pretty great from my limited view (the light wasn't even turned on). I couldn't wait to step into the house and try out all the new lights. They are perfect. They complete the look.

There seems to be an unending list of little things to tie up before we can officially call this renovation project complete, but one by one, everything is coming together and I am hopeful that today will mark the end of the work my son has taken on.

It has been a huge undertaking for my son. From the vision, to the demo, to the work that began behind the scenes as he painted all the new doors and closet doors in his own home before spending his days (and several nights) here. He has never laid laminate before and he took the task of the entire main floor of our home. He has hung all the interior doors and closet doors. He has installed all the baseboard and trim...

None of these tasks are as simple as they sound. The tweeking, the caulking, the patching, the "making it work", the touch ups, the clean up, the endless amount of painting, reassembling closets, moving the heavy furniture back upstairs ... not to mention fielding my thoughts and concerns along the way. I must admit the "sweat equity" I added to the project has consisted mostly of emptying, dusting and refilling the main floor of our home.

Yesterday, I was given a job. My son suggested I replace the old registers with the new ones. Sounds simple, but I still needed the help of my son as we have a few ducts which have been tampered with, thus creating a too small opening for the standard sized register.

It's just another one of those little things.

As I wandered through our home flicking on our new lights and appreciating the refreshed new look and the mere fact that the light switch did its job (changing lights in our home is yet another thing that was a bigger job than it should have been due to some creative wiring of a previous light installation), I found Jet savoring the moment as well ...


He was cozied up, enjoying laying on our new register. The cats are loving rediscovering our home as things evolve on a daily basis. In fact, Jet enjoyed hopping onto the boxes of the new light fixtures. He is intent on leaving his scent on everything coming into our renewed home.

I just smiled when I noticed Jet atop the new heat register. He likes "new" too. Then again, he may simply be cold. This cold snap has invaded our home and is reminding me that our insulation is in dire need of upgrading.

It's just another one of those "little things" to add to the cost of home ownership. Those little things sure add up in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment