Tuesday, February 5, 2019

A Moment in the Sun

I was sitting in a waiting room yesterday and was fortunate enough to be in a spot where I could watch happiness unfold.

There was a dad with his two children between me and those were standing in line. The baby was faced towards those waiting in line. There was a second child (a year older, according to what I overheard) who sat facing the opposite direction but the dad picked up this little girl so she became visible to those who were waiting.

I just sat back and watched the magic.

It started with the face of an older lady lighting up as she smiled, waved and talked quietly to the baby. The smile that lit up this lady's face transformed her. She looked lighter, happier, joyful as I watched a youthful version of herself reappear.

Then it happened again. And again. And again.

Young, old and anywhere in between. The light these two small children brought into the room was awe inspiring.

As I watched those in line light up, I found myself smiling. The reflection of the joy bounced around the room and hit me between the eyes. I now wonder if I was the only one who felt the boomerang effect of the sense of "happy" these two small children brought into the moment.

When the young family left the room, the essence of their presence lessened. But I still felt the moment within me. I wondered about the others who were transformed in the moment.

That little family had no idea of the impact they made in those moments. A ripple effect of joy was cast. One will never know the far reaching effects of that little moment in the sun. I'm grateful I was on the sidelines to watch and record the event.

It was a moment in the sun on a cold and wintry February.

No comments:

Post a Comment