Thursday, February 21, 2019

I Was Just Late ...

This morning was full of delays. One thing led to the next, the next and then another. I finally left the house about a half hour later than I should have.

As I was driving to work, I had to find a detour around my regular route because the road was closed. On my extended drive to work, the radio announcer was advising all drivers to avoid the area as it was extremely backed up due to a multi vehicle traffic accident due to icy driving conditions.

I always like to rationalize these small inconveniences and had firmly decided that all of my delays put me exactly where I needed to be, to avoid being involved in this accident. My story justified my late start to the day and made me appreciate my safe drive just a little bit more. Mostly I was glad to have a plausible "excuse" for being late.

I couldn't wait to come home and check the details of this story to confirm my theory.

It turns out the accident did indeed involve 12 vehicles and a semi truck and the road was closed for almost three hours.

Except ... the accident occurred at approximately 7:40 a.m., while I was just sitting down with my morning smoothie and had no intention of leaving the house for another hour. All of my delays did not save me from untold danger and the inconvenience of having a crashed car. I was just late for work.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment