Thursday, February 14, 2019

Bathroom Renovation

The season of spending on a little project I like to call Renos 2019 is starting to wind down to a close. There are a few final expenses to add to the total but I have a running estimate to give me an idea of the grand scheme of spending. 

Money goes pretty fast in this Land of Renovations. Even though I have done my best to reign in my wish list and keep it manageable, my savings account is taking a beating. 

We left the bathroom out of the Renovation Equation, thinking we would just see what expendable cash was left over after all was said and done.

My reno guy is very sensitive to my need to watch the spending doesn't get out of hand. Thus, when I told him the story about how we need a pair of pliers to turn on the shower because the knob kept falling off ...

Out with the old!

... we came home one night to find this practical and affordable solution:

In with the new!
He drilled a small hole in the shower puller outer thing and placed a small ring in it so we can ditch our pliers and just pull on this handy dandy little shower puller.

And that is about all we can afford to spend on our bathroom right about now. A practical solution to a decades long problem. This is something Dad would have done.

My reno guy watches his (my) spending at every turn and has made this renovation thus far as affordable as a full on main floor renovation could be.

Add my Second Son to the equation and he is finishing off where my reno guy will leave off. My son's ideas, attention to detail and awareness of the budget is another glimpse of Dad which has been brought into our home.

This renovation would have, could have and probably should have brought my stress levels to an all time high. But it hasn't.

Our home is in good and watchful hands. I feel the essence of Mom and Dad waft through this process. Mom would have enjoyed this. She always preferred "refurbishing an existing home" versus "buying something brand new". Dad would have given his nod of approval to the shower fix and I'm certain my son has already incorporated many of the ways Dad would have added his touch to our home's maintenance, now and all the ways he has done so in the past.

A week from now, things are going to be looking pretty good around here. I have enjoyed this process. Good things come to those who wait. Our home has waited a very long time for this. I can almost feel it smiling ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment