Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Life Beyond the Renovation

Now that our renovations are taking up less real estate in my brain, "life" is catching up with me.

My hair - it is in dire need of a root touch up and trim. I look like an shaggy old dog. This look may pass on a 30 year old. But for a person in their late 50's, who wears their stress on their face? It's gotta go.

Speaking of hair - while glancing at my reflection on a differently lit mirror, I found a lone chin hair which needed to be plucked a week prior. It was so long, I had to measure it. It had time to grow an entire half inch. Oh dear. At least it was grey and didn't stand out TOO badly.

Income tax - I'm usually right on top of income tax at this time of the year. Thankfully I did a preliminary check of my taxes Christmas Eve, otherwise I may be in for the surprise of my life. I have at least three other people's taxes to tend to so I need to get back on top of that.

Prescription - I have a three month prescription which is lovely. Three months go by slowly enough that I can usually feel it in my bones when it needs to be renewed. Not this time. As I shook out my pill for the day, I was rather surprised to find only a few days left. I got on that one yesterday.

Blood donation - I let that one slip. When I ended up with a minor case of shingles days after my last donation, I immediately called the blood donor clinic and they cancelled the appointment I had booked for February. When I received their follow up call to re-book, I was in mid-renovation. The last thing in the world I wanted to do was to commit a Saturday morning to the task. That still needs to be done.

Dumpster pick up - My son had the ingenious idea to rent a dumpster to handle the outgoing decor of our renovation. He estimated we would need it for two weeks. Add a weekend onto his estimate and he was right on the money. All I had to do was to call for pick up. I finally remembered yesterday. It was lovely to come home last night and see the vacant spot where the dumpster took up residence. It served its purpose very well. We filled it to the brim. We were glad to have it but I was more than glad to see it go.

Furnace cleaning - I have finally booked an appointment for a furnace cleaning which signifies "the end of our renovation mess" is complete (at least the dirty, dusty, messy part). The removal of the dumpster along with our pending furnace cleaning eases my mind. We will be living the good life very soon!

Front door - Now that every door on the main floor has been replaced, our old front door must go. I've spent my renovation budget so this is a hard pill to swallow. But I must. This comes with the benefit of asking my Kitchen Reno Guy (and painter and all-round contractor/fixer upper) if he would like to take on the job. He is coming by this week to start the ball rolling.

We still have half a basement worth of excess I must tend to in some fashion. I'm terribly afraid this could end up like "Mom's room" - the room where memories of Mom and all I received as we divvied up the contents of her house were laid to rest. Everything has now been relocated downstairs but I don't want it abandoned and forgotten.

I need to get back to Marie Kondo and deal with the excesses which are now accumulated downstairs.

I'm almost back to where I was January 1st. Starting anew. Rejuvenated and ready to move forward. But ... I now have the added bonus of having one entire floor under control.

This renovation has given me a new starting point. If only it came with grand finale. The list of things yet to do continues to grow. Thankfully my ambition levels have been rekindled. I need to keep the momentum going. If only in a Marie Kondo fashion, where it is not about the renovation but in the downsizing of what we already have.

I am finding great joy in our minimalized main floor. Now to move that energy downstairs ...

No comments:

Post a Comment