Friday, September 6, 2019

Lately, I've Been Thinking ...

As I was typing up a response to a group email that has been cycling around my siblings and me this week, Mom's clock chimed in. Just as I was ready to hit the "Send" button.

Two years ago today. Very close to this very time. Mom breathed her last breath.

Did she just chime in to add her two cents worth? Think what you like. I asked her if there was any way to let us know she was close by after she left this earth, to please send a sign. Mom? Was that you?

One morning last week, I was feeling a tad out of sorts. I backed the car out of the garage and my radio transmitted the words, "Lately, I've been, I've been thinking ... I want you to be happier, I want you to be happier ... " Mom?, I wordlessly wondered.

The morning after I wrote about our final conversation with Mom, as I backed out of the driveway and headed to work, the radio sang to me again. "Lately, I've been, I've been thinking ... I want you to be happier, I want you to be happier ... " Mom?

I'm at peace, Mom. I sense you close to me. More at times than others. I think of you so very often, Mom.

This is how I think of you:


I think of you in good health. Memories of those final months are fading. I'm holding onto conversations we had. But I'm letting the sad stuff go.

Wherever you are, this is my wish:
 "Lately, I've been, I've been thinking ... I want you to be happier, I want you to be happier ... "

No comments:

Post a Comment