Monday, September 23, 2019

Question Period - 1996

I have just returned home from a weekend with my siblings and reflections of our visit are echoing within my thoughts this morning.

I am blessed to be part of a family who make me feel whole, accepted and loved. They seem to like me just the way I am. The feeling is wholeheartedly reciprocated towards each and every one of my siblings.

Mom was brought into our conversation often. We watched a home video my brother crafted 23 years ago as a gift to Mom. He titled the video "Question Period (1996)". It was a video which featured all four of Mom's children. My brother came up with a list of questions. We pondered and answered to the best of our ability. It was fun to be a part of the gift our brother was creating.

The video was from a time when Mom was in perfect health. Yet we said all the important things.

My brother wound up the video in a way which we unintentially recreated when we gathered to say our final farewell to Mom 21 years later. The images and words were touching but meant ever so much more with the passage of time and the loss of Mom.

All that was left after the credits rolled was the feeling that Mom heard all of these things when it mattered.

When Mom died, I was consoled by the knowledge that I had said all I had to say. I said it when I thought it. In the present. In writing. In cards and letters. I had said everything I wanted to tell her.

It saddens me when I think that Dad never received the same gift. It is my hope that he knew how we felt. But there is nothing quite like hearing the words said aloud. I wasn't very vocal in those days. I'm glad I found my voice.

Using your voice to spread kindness is one of the best gifts one can give. Write what you can't say, say what you can't write ... but say something. Give the gift of letting someone know how you feel now. One never knows what tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment