Thursday, December 19, 2019

A Beautiful Message

For anyone planning to see "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood", I highly recommend reading the Esquire article "Can You Say...Hero?" first.

I saw the movie with a friend last night. While I usually like to go into a movie knowing little of its plot line, this time was an exception. I went in expecting a light and easy story line with childhood lessons taught by Mister Rogers (aka: Tom Hanks). Though that is an integral part of the message, there is more to this movie.

What I woke up with, was a glimmer of hope for those who spread kindness in our world. In Mister Rogers' case, he spoke directly to children. He talked to them about hard things. He was kind. He cared. He wanted to know people. He didn't judge. He listened in every sense of the word. He realized the power of television and utilized it to perpetuate kindness, acceptance and speak directly to our children.

I thought of those who are spreading kindness, compassion, promoting acceptance and showing the world how small things, multiplied by many become big things.

There are several public figures who come to mind. The list continues to grow as I contemplate that thought. One doesn't need to be famous to make a difference.

My favorite author Glennon Doyle jumps to the front of the line in my mind. Simply because I have followed her blog since before she became who she is still becoming. She has found a way to utilize the Internet as a tool to unite like-minded people to become a force to be reckoned with. Glennon, her Together Rising warriors and those she has teamed up with are making a difference in this world of ours.

Small acts of kindness impact the world. Children are our world's future. Our future begins with those young, impressionable minds. Mister Rogers has created a legacy of caring, listening, hearing and empowering those young minds.

Who is "Mister Rogers" within your world? I have an uncle who tops the list in my mind. I aspire to become more of who I have always known him to be. In a word? Kind. One word doesn't begin to encompass the essence of this most incredible human being who has spread caring and compassion in every memory I hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment