Thursday, December 5, 2019

Thank You

It seems to be a morning of squeezing out the last of the toothpaste from the tube; finishing off the last of some frozen fruit; running to the end of another toilet paper roll; and emptying a jug of milk. It has been a week of worn out socks; holey gloves; replacing another pen that ran out of ink; pulling out a warmer coat; and finishing off the last of my favorite foot cream.

In all cases but one, we have a back-up supply within the house. In the case of the milk, it will be replenished before the day's end.

As I squeeze out the last of all we have run out of, I cannot help but think "What if this was all we had? What if we couldn't replenish our resources by simply running out to the store?"

I have just refilled a prescription. The question of topping up the gas in the car is simply a matter of "when", not "how" or "if". Picking up groceries is a weekly chore, something I squeeze into the week but never a question of affordability.

I turned up the thermostat and the furnace didn't cut in as expected. I wandered downstairs to look at the furnace. How old is the air filter? Are any warning lights flashing? Everything checked out okay and within minutes I could feel the house heating up. What if our furnace died and we didn't have the means to have it repaired?

My car is looking pretty dirty with all the melting and slushy weather we have had recently. But everything is working and it gets me where I need to go and back home again. What if it didn't? If it died, what if I couldn't get it to a garage?

As I walk through my quiet little life, I hope I never ever stop feeling grateful for the creature comforts within our home and the community that surrounds us.

I am grateful. So grateful.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment