Sunday, May 12, 2019

If I Could Turn Back Time

I have been watching for rabbits, hoping to spot one, ever wishful to cross paths with a baby rabbit. Rabbit watching is one of my favorite things and I am always pleasantly surprised when a rabbit shows itself in my presence.

I was driving home from the final performance of my son's play. I have spotted rabbits on several occasions on the University grounds. I was watching.

As we drove through the winding roads to our destination, there were more Canadian geese than I could count. They respected the rules of the road, as did I, and we just enjoyed a small piece of nature as we made our way.

We got there early so went for a walk around the grounds. We didn't stray far (mostly because I was a little unsure of my ability to find my way back to the drama building). I did a little bird watching, marvelled at the blooms on some trees and I hoped and wished to spot a rabbit.

We enjoyed our evening and were recapping our interpretations of the diversity of the story lines, the talent and abilities of the students who engineered the entire event. It was a perfect night.

Then, out of nowhere in a momentary flash my dream came true. I didn't spot them until it was almost too late. Two baby bunnies sitting on the boulevard. I didn't have time to think, to brake, to stop or do anything to stop and simply take in the momentary flash of a baby rabbit sighting.

I drove past. In that very moment the rabbits fled. I couldn't see where they went until I heard it under my rear tire. I ran over a baby rabbit.

My heart sunk as low as it could go. My wish was granted and I wasn't going slow enough to stop and savor the moment.

As the highlight reel of my life passes through my mind, this will be a moment I will forever regret. This moment and the time I hit a mother duck on the highway. This time was worse, because this time I had time to stop.

If I could only turn back time. I would rewind the tape, stop the car and simply soak up the miracle of spotting a baby bunny. It would have been the perfect end to an otherwise perfect evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment