Wednesday, May 22, 2019

A Super Soul Summer Lineup

The sun is shining, the cats are content, the roof is freshly shingled and I'm crossing the hard stuff off my eternal things-to-get-done list. Life is good.

My hard things are pretty easy. They are simply time consuming, take up space in my brain and weigh me down. Things like getting my hair cut, getting an oil change, picking up a prescription, coloring my hair, washing sheets and getting groceries. They are simple little tasks that are nice to have behind me before the weekend arrives.

It is Wednesday - a very good day to start tackling the pre-weekend errands. My ambition is being spurred on, due to the fact that my sister is arriving tomorrow so we can go to see Cher [insert great joy and excitement here]!

This Thursday night adventure came with the stress of asking for a day off each of my jobs. Which, once my requests were granted, quickly transformed into the anticipation of knowing I get one evening and one day off this week.

I am having a hard time pushing myself out of my comfort zone these days. I have notations and mental lists of invitations I should issue but I haven't acted on any of them.

"Family" is filling my need for company and spontaneity. There is little that makes me happier than my son showing up on our doorstep with nothing more than a cup of coffee and a visit on his agenda. It is a bonus when he offers up his handyman services but I am quite content with coffee and conversation.

My siblings will soon be busy with their summer schedules but this spring has brought several opportunities for us to get together. In fact, one of my sisters has staked claim on one of our beds and said, "Don't wash the sheets yet - I'll be back!". I told her she should have picked a better bed if it was going to be hers, but I simply smile and think of my thoughts of Mom and "her room" here. I have a feeling there may soon be a "Donna's room" in our midst. When my finances recover from our outdoor maintenance expenses, I must attempt to make her room/bed more comfortable.

I have a short hiatus of fun-filled activities after Cher's concert but I am quite looking forward to the next item on this summers highlight reel of events. A few free weekends, followed by some outdoor maintenance (soffit, fascia, eavestroughs and downspouts) will wind up with a date with Oprah within the month.

Oprah is an out-of-town excursion and dare I say that I am quite looking forward to this? Oprah and her "Super Soul" events is part of a visit with a sister-friend with whom I share a Super Soul kind of connection.

The weekend following that, is yet another easy to look forward to occasion. I have been invited to see Johnny Reid at an outdoor concert with another friend who I share a unique, Super Soul kinship.

An out-of-town live theatre is next on the itinerary. My son knows someone who is in the play and the town is mid-way between here and my sister's. So it is possible we may meet up again.

The summer will wind up with another live performance in my sister's fine city, where we hope the sisters shall gather and see Mamma Mia.

A tentative October gathering-of-the-siblings is an idea that is brewing. We got together last year, after the busyness of summer was behind us and before winter settled in. This was the first time all four of us gathered in Mom's home territory since her house was sold. We rented an AirBnB and simply enjoyed being together under one roof, as a family. Something we thought may never happen after Mom's house was gone.

My calendar is sprinkled with events and gathering with people with whom I share a special "Super Soul Connection".

As my evening with Cher is on the horizon, I am revelling in my summer line-up of events. I will not go on any grand holiday adventure this year but I am finding my joy right in my own back yard. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment