Tuesday, May 7, 2019

The Best Things in Life

The weekend past felt like it passed by in the blink of an eyelash. The post I most wanted to write was titled "Moments" and that encapsulates my weekend in one word.

We can't plan, predict or choreograph the best moments in our life. They are a little like watching a butterfly. You just sit quietly and let things happen without forethought or expectations.

Moments could be a "sitting in a sunbeam" kind of feeling where everything in that precise moment in time comes together and provides you with peace and clarity.

Moments could be a conversation that unfolded easily, personal truths are revealed and held tight and a sense of trust and ease makes for an easy rapport.

My knees used to shake when these conversations happened. Times when I connected with a fellow human being on a deep and meaningful level. I haven't noticed my knees shaking lately but my heart still recognizes the moment.

The memories of my mind rewind and replay ... the location where these deep and meaningful conversations have been inconsequential. In a parking lot, a quiet day at work, in a Tim Hortons coffee shop or a restaurant, to name just a few.

Stand-out moments can happen any place at all. Almost all the moments that stand out in my life all happened while I was living my day-to-day life and within a close radius of home. I didn't have to go any where, take in any special occasion or go looking for the best moments of my life. They simply unfolded when I was sitting quietly and the moments took care of themselves.

It is really no wonder I have little desire to travel. The best things in my life happen close to home. I have often said everything I need is right here under my very own roof. Although I have to leave the house to earn a living these days, everything I need to get through the next day at work is waiting for me at home.

The best things in life are not only free, they are closer than you may think. Sometimes, just sometimes all we have to do is sit quietly and simply let life unfold as it is meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment