Friday, May 10, 2019

Wafting Back Down to Earth

I am sitting back and wafting back down to earth after a most excellent Sister Sleepover here last night.

The catalyst for this unexpected treat was my Youngest Son's acting debut performance. We attended this grand event and were impressed by the raw talent of a showcase of university students who took care of absolutely every aspect of the four, one-act plays which unfolded before us.

This is the first time I have seen my son perform in many years and my heart soared as I watched the way he portrayed and embodied the soul of his character with (what appeared to be) such ease. He told me he played the protagonist in the story but [typical "mother" statement forthcoming], I saw him as a "good and loyal soldier", who was simply following the orders of some unnamed "Führer" at the end of the Second World War.

Watching the metamorphosis of my son as he pursues his passion with his entire being has been something to behold. I hope this is just a beginning for him ...

We all came home and enjoyed a relaxed visit as we wound down the day with drinks and nachos. Good company, good munching food and a beverage of our choosing made for a most excellent wind down to the day.

I slept sounder than I have slept for a while. It was a purely blissful feeling, sharing a roof with my sisters only a few steps away. I felt as safe and secure as I did as a child, when my older sisters watched over me and guided me through my early childhood.

Then came the awakening. The sun rose and ushered in a new day. I exchanged days off so I could enjoy a leisurely morning with my sisters and it was one of the smartest moves I've made in a while.

We chatted lightly about everything and anything. I was sitting in a kitchen chair that gave me a perfect view of a pencil drawing of my childhood home. The only home I shared with my sisters before they grew up, got married and we moved out of the province.

The only home where all four of "us kids" lived together before everyone moved on and out of that house and into the next phase of "life"
Wisps of feelings, memories and a desire to turn back the clock just to hear their side of those memories was warm and comforting. We spoke of Mom, we guessed at what she would say to various current events going on within our families. We spoke the language of family. Simply sitting back and being a part of the dialogue felt like a bear hug to my soul.

I've been struggling lately. I confessed my reality to my sisters and they listened with their whole heart. I felt like we had turned back the clock to a different time and place when they were there to walk with me through some of the biggest changes in my life.

I've been here before.

I've been feeling Mom's presence so strongly lately. Not in a Twilight Zone kind of way. Just within my heart, my soul and my entire being. Mom would be so relieved to know our sister status remains strong and true. Mom's words keep coming out in the voice of others...

I hear you, Mom. I heard you then and I hear you now. Something's gotta change.

No comments:

Post a Comment