Monday, May 20, 2019

Speaking of "73"

As the number 73 rolled in and around and through my thoughts this morning, I remembered one more fun fact. Today is Cher's 73rd birthday.

My sister and I will be going to see Cher in three days. We will sit back and marvel at what "73" looks like on Cher. I am prepared to be amazed.

I have a feeling even my very ambitious mother couldn't hold a candle to Cher's performance on stage (I can hear her raspy voice reply, "Nor would I want to!"). In the same token, I wonder if Cher could have kept up with Mom's ambition levels (I've still got your back, Mom).

I listened to an interview with Cher as she spoke about her current tour. She mentioned (I'm paraphrasing here so this is not exactly what she said) that she gives her all when she is on stage but the moment she is out of the spotlight, she is in recovery mode. Judging by her past performances, she doesn't have very long recovery periods yet she continues to go back "on" and in full performance mode.

As I wrote of Mom's ambition, motivation and perseverance at the age of 73 being akin to a marathon and my tendency to simply take on life in short 100 yard dashes (then rest and recoup) ... I wonder if Cher and I may have something in common after all...

I remember the way the music of the 70's seeped into my entire heart and soul at my 35th high school reunion. I danced like no one was watching. People commented on "how fit I was" at the time. Yes, that was six years ago. No, I haven't done much to maintain that level of fitness. But I remember the feeling well. My heart began to beat to the beat of the music and I was the music. The music was me.

I wonder if that is how Cher feels when she is singing and dancing to the beat of the music that has been a part of her existence for the past 60+ years.

73 ... 73 ... 73 ...

The number 73 is still speaking to me today. Happy Birthday, Cher!!

No comments:

Post a Comment