Monday, January 28, 2019

Restoring Order

There was a time when I felt I had everything under control. I had a housekeeping routine, I discarded/donated and culled the excess within our home regularly. I cooked, I cleaned and ran a pretty smooth ship around here. Our home was a calm and relaxing world.

Then came the year "2008". It was a year of great change. It was the year after the breakup of who I thought was my "until death do us part" partner.

The years whirl by me after that point. From a manic state of over-drive, to the assembling family histories, to closing my daycare so I could pursue an education, to a few jobs which were my undoing. Which led to the reopening of my daycare.

My energy level never did recover from that time of great change.

I acted and reacted to life. There was much to do, much to be grateful for but that feeling of having everything within our home manageable and under control was lost.

Fast forward to 2019.

It all started with an easy "yes" to replacing the flooring on our entire main floor. Followed by another easy "yes" to start renovating our kitchen. Then hiring a painter ...

The need to shake up our little world has been just what I needed to find my DESIRE to recreate the order I have been missing within these four walls of ours.

I open drawers and want to empty, cull and organize them. As I emptied the top floor into our basement, it was methodical, well thought out, with the idea that "only that which brings me joy" will come back upstairs again.

Our three upstairs bedrooms which have lost their identity will find themselves again throughout this renovation project.

Only that which brings joy will come back upstairs. Only that which brings joy ...

Restoring order is restoring my joy. That is just how I'm wired. I get a small thrill by opening a drawer where everything has a place, is in its place and is hanging out with other items of a similar nature.

I have been lost but now I'm finding my way back home. It's been a long and winding road since I started losing my way. It feels good to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment