Thursday, January 24, 2019

The Domino Effect

The littlest of things have been generating a great deal of gratitude within my week thus far.

A few days ago, for some unknown mysterious reason, I decided to put my sweater in the car as I walked across the street, heading into to Part II of my work day. The automatic door lock didn't work. Neither did the spare key fob. In that moment, I knew. I had left the car lights on and the battery was as dead as a door nail.

Luckily, this didn't happen at the end of my day. Thus, this minor inconvenience was tucked neatly into my day and not tacked on at the end. Secondly, it was a mild and warm-for-January kind of day. The tow trucks were not busy and I didn't have to wait long.

I felt SO fortunate, as I paid my $42.00 boosting surcharge.

Timing is everything.

As I crawled out of bed this morning, I simply felt gratitude. Waking up in your own bed, in your own home, facing a day that is mundane and predictable is a gift.

I scratched our cats' heads and simply loved them. I went through the morning rituals I have created and simply felt a renewed appreciation.

Waking up to a regular, unremarkably ordinary day is something you don't appreciate until you no longer have it. Today, I appreciated it even more.

I'm making decisions about taking on a house renovation when in reality, this is the last thing in the world I should be doing.

Yet, I feel Mom's urging. She would be happy I'm finally doing this. I know I will not regret it. The decisions I have made thus far have been easy. I'm not fighting the current. I'm being pushed along.

My fear of spending, renovating, changing and taking on this renovation of massive proportions is being superseded by the comfort of knowing if a decision is easy to make, it is right. This would have Mom's nod of approval.

Moving on, despite "everything" is a healthy distraction. Despite it all, I'm moving on. I'm moving through.

My heart is aching for those who are not waking up to a remarkably unremarkable day, in their own bed, in their own home, without a cat's head to scratch to keep them grounded.

It feels as though a domino has been toppled and everything is happening as it is meant to be. Despite what is going on within the fringes of my life, I'm moving on and through...

I have no idea what this day will bring. I can only hope for the best. If I was a person who prayed, I would say a prayer right about now. What I feel, think and live feels as strong as any prayer.

Praying for just another ordinary day for those around me. Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment