Sunday, July 28, 2019

The Gift of Emptiness

It is only when we feel truly empty, that there is room to become full again.

I woke up this morning feeling completely hollow, empty and spent. Physically, mentally, emotionally and in every sense I could imagine. I looked outside and was grateful a rainy morning gave me the gift of filling myself up.

I felt I had no functional brain cells when I couldn't tackle my morning word and number puzzles. I quit. I walked away from the computer and unconsciously went about my morning looking for something to fill the void.

I took the easy way. I turned on the TV. Home renovation shows were not what I needed to fuel my thoughts. Thankfully, I had taped a variety of Oprah's "Master Class" shows. I found what I was looking for.

I can go looking for inspiration and not be open enough to absorb what I come across. This morning? I wasn't looking for anything but a reason to collapse on the couch and lose myself. Instead, I found myself capable of filling up on the morsels of the wisdom of others.

I felt a little of what I felt when I saw Oprah in person. The ah-ha moments. The words that resonated. A renewed perspective.

I was revived from the inside out. CPR for the soul.

I found myself feeling grateful for the emptiness which made room for new input. Suddenly a scene from Short Circuit flashes through my mind, when Johnny 5 (the robot) is craving input:



Sometimes, we just need to fill ourselves up with what we need. Grab your oxygen mask. Be grateful for the emptiness which allows you to fill up to your maximum capability.

No comments:

Post a Comment