Saturday, July 6, 2019

Life's Little Wins

You've got to take the wins where you find them in life. Big, little or anywhere in between. If it makes you smile, call it a "win" and hold onto the moment while you have it.

The back story to my little "win" a few nights ago is the fact that after living an entire lifetime with the illusion that I looked younger than my years, the tides started to turn in and around the year I turned 49.

One person assumed my child friendly yard was for my grandchildren (I still don't have grandchildren so apparently that is not necessarily a good indication of one's age but I didn't know that at the time).

Shortly thereafter, I mentioned the fact that I was 49 years old to someone I just met. Instead of the usual comment about my appearance versus my actual age, I was on the receiving end of a very subtle look that said, "And you look every year of it".

There were clerks in the stores that offered me senior discounts. Granted some stores age requirements are younger than others but NONE of them were under the age of 55, while one extremely helpful waitress explicitly told me "You qualify for our senior's menu if you are 65" AFTER she asked me if I would like the senior meal.

There have been comments made when I was with my sisters (who are 9 and 11 years older than me) on how we looked like triplets. "You are all so alike! And the same age too!!" Yep. Payback's a _itch, isn't it? I laughed because I knew I was long overdue for this day of reckoning and I was actually pleased that my sisters got to witness it first hand. Yes, I finally caught up with my sisters (and that fact actually pleases me a lot).

You get the gist. I'm no spring chicken. I look my age. And that's okay. I've come to terms with this. It is true. What else can I say?

Back to the present now.

I presented my customer reward card and told the clerk I was a senior (55 year old at this particular store). The clerk who initially told me about the 20% off day at their store for those who are 55 years or older didn't blink an eye when she suggested this offer to me. I obviously looked every year of my age and perhaps even more. I have taken full advantage of this weekly offer ever since (20% off IS a big deal!!). Not a soul has blinked an eye. It's true. I'm 58 years old. This is no surprise to me.

FINALLY! only two days ago, I recited my line "And I'm a senior ..." to the cashier ringing up my purchase. And he replied with a smile, "Well, I think I'm going to have to check your ID!" I assumed he was joking. Younger people have made the odd comment which I know is a joke when they make comments about my age. Yep. I hear them. I laugh and say thank you. But this time, he was for real. "You really want to see my ID?" I asked with a laugh. He accepted my offer and I walked out the door feeling at least four years younger.

It was a small win. But it still counts.

Take your "wins" wherever you find them. The small stuff matters. The little wins mean a lot. Any time life offers you a smile or small chuckle go with it. That is a win in my books. How many "wins" will you find hidden within your day? May you tally them up and remember the little things that matter the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment