Wednesday, July 3, 2019

The World is Whispering to Me (aka: I Hate Change!)

I feel like the world is trying to reroute my comfortable little morning routine.

I used to love reading the almost-daily posts from my favorite bloggers. I would fill myself up with humor, perspective and little nuggets of inspiration before I sat still and wrote my own thoughts of the day. I would have a cup of coffee or two while I wrote then tend to all that needed tending before my daycare days began. Then during our afternoon quiet time, I would sit down with various word and number puzzles to satisfy my need to challenge my mind as my daycare family slept.

Life has evolved and morphed into my revised routines since then.

My favorite bloggers have either turned to other social media outlets or write only sporadically or not at all. I've tried to find new favorite authors and have had mild success. My interests have evolved, the world isn't the same and I haven't found a comfortable niche of regular bloggers to follow. I closed my daycare, work outside of my home and no longer have "quiet time" in the middle of my day. So I have skipped straight to my word and number puzzles to kick start my days.

My puzzle providers have changed a few times over the course of time. I would seek out and find my favorite puzzles in new places. I added to my selection of puzzles and my time commitment to puzzling has increased.

A few weeks ago, I thought it was happening again. Most of my puzzles were unavailable when I went to the site. I thought, "Here we go again. They are closing down shop and I will have to find new puzzles elsewhere." But there was a ray of hope. Instead of a dead end, it simply looked like the puzzle was slow in loading. I came back and tried, tried and tried again. Eventually, through the course of the next few hours, I could load each of my favorite puzzles and still have the satisfaction of completing that little morning task before carrying on with the day.

Enter one more glitch. My son just started some morning classes three days a week which means I have to leave the house an hour earlier than usual. Instead of bemoaning the fact that I will either lose an hour of my quiet morning time OR I will have to get up an hour earlier, I became consumed with the fact that I won't have time to wait for my morning puzzles to become available before I start the day.

I took a long, deep breath and told myself there was a work-around. I would get up an hour earlier. I would write first. I would load this morning's puzzles and leave them open so I can work on them tomorrow morning. I would find a way to overcome this obstacle.

Never mind the fact that I could and should be taking this bonus hour and going for a brisk morning walk. Or perhaps try to restart the "exercise" habit. Maybe even vacuum? No, no, no. I continue to try to load each of my puzzles as I write this post and feel a small bit exasperated that I must put this habit of challenging my mind on hold.

Do you ever feel like the world is trying to tell you something? Then when you don't listen, that "whisper" becomes an inconvenience. Then the inconvenience becomes a shouting match?

Yes, World. I hear you. But I'm not listening to your call. I just want my little piece of normalcy. Inspirational reading material and puzzles to challenge my mind. Is that really too much to ask?

Apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment