Friday, July 26, 2019

Detours

As easy as my Wednesday morning unfolded, my Thursday morning was filled with detours. Nothing was simple, every step I took led to a diversion, an extra task and all I did to ensure the morning played out according to plan went awry.

I walked into work a half hour later than I hoped to arrive and my boss had had a morning full of detours which took her down an unplanned path. My deviations were simply annoying and time consuming. Hers were more challenging.

It didn't stop there. My home life crossed the boundary I have in place at work. Minor things but things that needed to be tended. Even as I tried to help my boss out with her troubles, nothing went easily.

Finally, finally, finally the day started to take shape. I was getting things done. I had a little extra time to start working on payroll and then the road blocks started blocking my path again.

One thing led to another. Then another. It shattered my confidence and I took a few steps backward to ensure things hadn't gone awry earlier than I had noticed. Thankfully it hadn't. It was an isolated incident infected with more than one error. I could fix this ...

Then the phone rang. It was an important call but it was so terribly timed. I didn't have time to see this through.

I hung up the phone and I was late for my next job. I called to say I was on my way. In response, I was told to take my time. So I asked for one half hour. A half hour wasn't enough, but it was enough to get a handle on a day that had gone wrong in ten minutes or less.

Thankfully, that is where my story ends. All went according to plan from that point forward. The half hour I was late for my second job was offset by a set of circumstances which had led to an extra half hour a few days prior. It all works out in the end ...

Life is like that sometimes. It doesn't matter how hard you try to plan something, all it takes is one (or two or twelve) thing to step in your direct path to success and it leads you down an unintended fork in the road.

Sometimes, a deviation to the plans you have made take you down a new road you wouldn't have taken otherwise. Other times, it is just plain annoying.

Here's to hoping getting up before the sun works for me today. I can tackle a few work items at home and hopefully get a jump start on the day. Friday. The week sped by faster than there was work to be done...

It looks like the sun is going to try and shine today after some rainy days gave my house painters a few unexpected days off.

Happy Friday!! May your day go as well as you hope for. And if not, there is always tomorrow. Today I shall make the day I hoped yesterday could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment