Saturday, March 18, 2023

A Life Lived Well

I am quietly reflecting on a Celebration of Life for my uncle. My dad's brother, a brother (I was told) who most resembled Dad's character and work ethic. A quiet mannered, unassuming kind of guy who was so much more than met the eye.

Dad came from a family of seven boys. The brothers have so many memories and stories that have been told and retold throughout the years. I have listened to them relive those memories and watched the years slip away. The essence of their youth filled the room, eyes twinkled and there was easy laughter among them.

Dad died young. Far too young. A massive heart attack took him from us shortly before his 58th birthday. His body survived but we lost every other part of him that fateful day forty years ago.

I love to hear people speak of Dad, listen to the stories and reminiscences from siblings, uncles, cousins and family friends. Everyone sees a little different piece of a person and I love gathering those memories from different perspectives and recreating Dad's story in my heart and mind.

As I watched the slideshow of my uncle's life, it was a kaleidoscope of memories that encapsulated his essence, his life and reflected his story. A farmer at heart, the farming pictures were plentiful and seasoned his story to perfection. Family photos from all ages and stages of life. He was a son, a brother, a husband, a dad, a grandfather, an uncle, a friend and a valuable member of the community. He worked hard, worked fast and ran even faster. 

As I watched the years unfold on my uncle's slideshow, I was drawn to the photos after he retired. A time when he could vacation a little, enjoy cabin life, fishing, vacations with his brothers, enjoying grandchildren, playing cards, living a simple life but living it well. 

These were the years Dad didn't live to enjoy. As I watched my uncle's story told in photographs I envisioned what Dad's life could have been. It the life I wish you could have lived, Dad. 

It was a life lived well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment