Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Study on Aging

I have been involved with an aging study for a very long time. I know I was young and naïve during my first interview because I remember one (slightly paraphrased) question: "Do you have people in your life who would be available, if needed, who would live with you/live with them if the need arose?"  Life was simple in those days. I thought about the question and without serious thought of what the implications to that question meant, I replied "yes". 

[Insert head slap here]

Dad lived in a long term care home the last years of his life so I did know what worst case scenarios could arise. I had little understanding of the varying degrees of dependence between Dad's need for full time care and Mom's fiercely independent life. When answering that question, I hope I added a good dose of Mom's independent nature added that I would not put someone in that position. Perhaps I did, because as soon as I typed those words, I tend to think there was a follow-up to my answer which asked if I would have the means to pay for any support I may need. I would love to read a transcript of that first interview and see how starry eyed I was in my younger years.

As I tiptoe into this age and stage of life, the learning curve of aging and its affects on our population is gaining momentum. Every story is shaded with different hues of circumstances that no one expected, wanted or were fully prepared for all implications that evolve from a serious health issue. 

My interview with this aging study was a few days ago. My inability to remember many of the long list of words they dictate was minimal, which declined to "three" after the interview progressed. Losing my thoughts on the daily, like that elusive wafting cat hair continues to be a concern. Inserting the wrong words into a conversation. Am I literally losing my mind?


Serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; wisdom to know the difference. Let us add "resilience" to that ... the ability to do what is within our own power. I can exercise this brain, take it for walks, stimulate it by doing more than I have been doing. 

Just what I need. Another goal ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment