Thursday, March 30, 2023

The Bonus Hour

The bonus hour I gained by getting up an hour early yesterday had a ripple effect throughout the day. Perhaps other factors helped enhance my productivity but I believe the hour tacked onto the beginning of the day had the greatest impact.

I'm "this close" to meeting my March 31st deadlines. Personal income taxes and GST are due April 30th. Corporate taxes are due June 30th. Then GST is due again July 31st. I'm going to start telling people I work for Revenue Canada - literally and figuratively. They are the boss of me. It seems I'm always scrambling to meet one of their deadlines and as a reward, I have a nice little sum I owe them when I file my own taxes. I work for them, yet I pay them. Something is terribly wrong here.

All whining aside, it feels good to conquer those hard things. In retrospect, the hardest part of the job is the procrastination, strategizing and figuring out my first move. Once started, the finish line is so much easier to see.

As soon as the dust clears from meeting the next set of deadlines, I should tame the beast that is my office. Piles of paper are everywhere. Unfinished tasks galore. 

It is my hope that as the weight of my bookkeeping world lifts, it will make room for me to add a dose of "living" to my life. Leaving the house. Outside contact with the world. Extending invitations. Even scarier - accepting invitations. The hard things don't end in my office. They are everywhere.

One forward step at a time. One forward step.

No comments:

Post a Comment