Saturday, March 11, 2023

The Easy Life

 I woke up this morning, made my bed and a cup of coffee. I opened a few blinds to check on the weather and here I am.

Life is very simple out here at my little weekend oasis. A place where I can shed all my labels and the only one that sticks is "sister". I am still all the other things but here? I feel light and easy.

Monday to Friday is committed. Where would I be without those commitments? Broke, for sure. I do appreciate the structure long time employment offers. As I vacuumed the relentless cat hair at home yesterday morning, I didn't feel so appreciative. Thank goodness it was Friday.

I have been working hard within that little home office of mine. Yesterday, I answered and dealt with the calls that came in. I went through my morning routine and checked everything that needed to be checked. Then? I coasted.

I haven't coasted for a good, long time and it felt pretty good. I was guiltily sitting in front of the TV watching Grey's Anatomy in the middle of the afternoon when my daughter walked in and sat down. She needed to talk more than I realized at the time. I'm so glad I wasn't sitting in my office when she approached me. She deserved my full attention.

Then I received a deep and thought provoking text from my brother. It was a group text and I am the only one of four siblings who doesn't have an Iphone, so I rarely take part in the conversation. But it was a comfort to hear the identifying notification sounds of my brother and two sisters conversing back and forth as they offered their perspective on a pivotal day (40 years ago) in our lives. One day, four different vantage points. 

My day hit a crescendo by four forces of life coming together at the same time. The sibling conversation as a backdrop to my daughter doing her taxes for the first time, with the request for guidance and reassurance along the way; packing up for my weekend getaway; and my need to be somewhere at 4:00.

This little dynamic was punctuated with my Second Son's travel updates as he made his way to Mexico. 

The stories within the stories. The same story as told by different people, at different ages/stages and locations as the main event was unfolding. It was a comfort, as I replayed the afternoon in the aftermath of my day, once I arrived safely at my weekend oasis destination.

Oh, to be at home with thoughts of family, siblings and the ease of the day set before me with little or no distraction. It is a good life out here at my little oasis.

I'm so glad I'm already here ... this is my favorite place to wake up on a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment