Saturday, June 9, 2018

A Productively Unproductive Day

I have enjoyed a most perfectly lazy kind of day. I followed where the day took me and it didn't take me far. And that is okay.

I am not going to beat myself up over all I could have and should have done. I picked up groceries on my way home last night, then immediately mowed the grass and had a shower. I did all the hard things by 9:30 Friday night. I then declared to myself, "If I do nothing else this weekend, this is enough".

I was sitting by my phone this morning when I got my son's text announcing their first "kitten sighting". Their mother cat had kittens (not quite) three weeks ago but she hid her new family out of sight and reach of predators as well as her humans. She brought them out and moved them to their new home this morning.

I was so happy that little nugget of good news didn't get squeezed into a busy day. In fact, I thought it was a gift that even though Momma Cat had her kittens while her humans were at work, she chose to bring them out on a day while her human was outside tending her flowers. She was ready to show off and share her family. 

I accomplished one small task. I retrieved all the motion sickness medication I have collected over the years and stacked them in expiry date order. I will soon need to be ready to take on the heroic deed of being a passenger in a moving vehicle. It's okay. I can do hard things.😣[persevering face]


I googled "Can you take expired motion sickness pills?" and my research tells me it is worth a shot. At least for the medication I am considering.

I also googled "To Kill a Mockingbird is it the most overly wordy book in history?" The jury is still out on that, though I did discover that even though this classic Pulitzer Prize winning novel that was part of both my and at least one of my children's school curriculum, there are others in the world who don't disagree with me.

Though I did find several chapters drier than month old toast, the story did have some redeeming qualities and it was worth fighting through to the finish. I finished reading a book today.

I like when life slows down to a crawl at times. I appreciate it when I don't have to rush a moment, hurry into a decision or race through a day.

Perhaps I should have set my sights a little higher. I simply knew I wanted to take a step away from my work week and enjoy the quiet moments of the weekend as they revealed themselves to me.

Mission accomplished.

"Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time
~ Marthe Troly-Curtin

No comments:

Post a Comment