Thursday, June 28, 2018

He Must Have Thought I Looked Wealthy...

I was holding down the fort and working at my bookkeeping job the other day when a few maintenance men came in to fix a few things in my boss' apartment.

The older fellow left and a young lad was left to finish up, then update me on what they did, what they were still working on and their plan to come back.

I listened attentively to ensure I heard and understood the message well enough to relay to my boss upon her return home.

It just so happened that I needed to leave very close to the time the maintenance guy was leaving so I asked him if he was done for now because I would have to leave and couldn't leave the apartment unattended in my boss' absence.

At this point the young guy looked like he would have liked to vanish into thin air. He nattered a little bit and apologized profusely, "I'm sorry. I thought you lived here. I'm sorry ... I just assumed ..."

My boss lives in a high end seniors apartment. I often say if I knew I had only four months to live, I would live there. It is that "high end".

Was I offended that this young man assumed I was a resident of a senior's high apartment? Not on your life. I was complimented that he assumed I was wealthy enough to live there.

I guess I could pull off "high end" living. I just need to know I'm in my final months before I can afford to foot the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment