Saturday, August 31, 2019

Best Vacation Ever

I woke up in paradise today. I don't know how they get any work done around here. I find myself simply wandering around and gazing out the windows ...

From the birds who were flitting about in the tree outside the bedroom window ... to the dogs who were resting on the deck ... to the cats who seemed to be the first to sense movement within the house (thus, "breakfast time"!) ... to the simplicity of the blue sky, water and nature all around.

This is the most peaceful I can remember feeling.

Not only does this feel like a piece of heaven right here on earth, but there is something rather serene about knowing there is nothing expected of me other than feeding the pets and ensuring they have water. Their mere presence is payback and then some.

I feel "Mom" so strongly within me right now ...

Mom would love it here. My son has put his blood, sweat and tears into this property and has created a home. This land spoke to him from the time he acquired it, looked onto the horizon and started dreaming of all it could be.

Nothing has come easy. My son cleared and cleaned up the land one step at a time. Clearing the debris and excess; building the white fence that marks this place with his own unique signature; shingling the buildings; excavating his basement; and literally starting from the bottom, up ... he has created "this".

Mom enjoyed the process while my son documented the work involved every step of the way. She came to visit her last trip home. She got to enjoy the process of the evolution and see how far it had come. And it has come so much further.

Two years. Mom has been gone for two years (less a few days). I think of our last visit here and where things were at, at the time. The building blocks were all in place. Step by step, bit by bit, this place has become so much more than it has been.

My son had a calling to call this place "home". I can feel it in every sense of the word. This is THE most home-away-from-home place I have ever been in my life. I feel grounded. I feel safe. I feel enveloped in all things familiar to me. I sense the piece of Dad within my son that helped build this. I feel Mom's appreciation of all that has become.

This is literally the best vacation. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment