Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Back in the Driver's Seat

I finally took all my thoughts that had been cycling and recycling around and around in my head and on the pages I've been writing and acted.

I acted. I didn't react. I acted.

I have been whining about my car and how I didn't feel it was winter worthy. Should I spend thousands of dollars on new struts, shocks, tires and a windshield? Or should I buy a new-to-me used car?

My thoughts bounced back and forth and all around. Around and around they went. The more the same thoughts cycled around in my head, the dizzier I got. The dizzier I got, the less capable I felt to make a decision. Any decision.

Then I thought "What do I have to lose to ASK if the stone chip in my windshield can be fixed [after waiting all summer to decide what to do]?"

I asked. They answered. The answer was "Yes, we can still fix this".

Next came the tires. I did not want to spend a lot of money on a car that I have already spent more on repairs and maintenance, than I did on the car itself. Then I (finally!) remembered. "Hey! I have snow tires in the garage!"

I've never had snow tires before this car. I got this car at the end of December. It had snow tires. I still slid through intersections, even when driving at a snail's pace. I still spun my wheels trying to take off from a corner, even when I accelerated slowly. I didn't see one advantage to having snow tires when my previous car drove (what felt to me) exactly as this car did, with snow tires. So I never used those tires again.

Fast forward to this year. My existing tires will need to be replaced soon. I don't want to invest in new tires for my old car. I have a full set of winter tires sitting in the garage. I asked my friendly, neighborhood mechanic to switch the tires knowing they would assess the winter tires before changing them. They told me the winter tires are like new. My old tires have 30% of their tread left.

I am now driving my new-to-me old car and feeling as good as I can about the upcoming winter season.

I didn't break the bank to put myself in this position. I used what I already had and fixed what was already there.

I had a few errands to run before I went to work yesterday. I saw two accidents on the opposite side of the freeway I was driving on. Knowing the traffic was just starting to back up on the side of the road I would need to travel after I ran my last errand, I looked up and the traffic was at a standstill. I took the back roads to my final destination. As I drove, I heard the traffic report "There are two accidents ... [on the stretch of road I had just avoided]".

I still slid through one intersection and a stop sign in a parking lot, as I was travelling at just over 0 km per hour. It's slippery out there!

Even with my winter tires, I know I could easily be in an accident this time of year. I'm driving as safe as I can, leaving lots of room between me and the cars ahead of me. But no one plans to have an accident. I am very relieved I will be driving the car I'm in right now. A car that is not worth a small fortune and a car I have not just spent a small fortune on.

I have spent my money wisely. I feel as safe as I can feel now that winter, wind, snow and ice have descended upon us. Yes, I wish I was working from home right about now. But since I'm not, I have done the best I can do with what I have.

I have accepted the things I cannot change. I have changed the things I can. I feel back in the driver's seat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment