Friday, October 25, 2019

Morning Pages Recap

I have been pretty faithful to maintaining the habit of "Morning Pages" (Julia Cameron - The Artist's Way). The goal of Julia's writing workshop I recently attended was to unblock your creativity.

Morning pages are the root to unblocking the flow (put yourself into a "release" mode), which is to be complimented with "Artist Dates" (a date with yourself to put yourself into a "receive" mode). Add walking to that recipe and you are on your way to a more open and creative mindset.

Despite what I learned from Julia, I have done little more than write these morning pages. A lot of the time, I am annoyed with this new morning chore I have added to my list. But instilling the habit of writing the thoughts I'm thinking upon waking every morning does reveal what is taking up most of the space in my mind.

I have been writing my morning pages for two months now (less the days I had company or was holidaying) and I cannot say I have noticed a remarkable difference in my creativity.

I was not taught anything I didn't already know. I have used writing as a tool to sort through my thoughts for most of my life. I know the healing power of gazing upward into the sky which seems to put life into perspective. I know I need to be quiet within myself to hear the answers I already know.

I yearn for those sitting in a sunbeam moments of clarity. Julia provided me with a road map. I just need to use it.

The recurring theme I keep unveiling is "I am exactly where I am meant to be". For now. I may not be where I want to be. Yet. But every little thing that is going on in and around my world is pushing me in a forward direction.

Everything comes in its own time, in its own way. To rush the process is to push fate. Walk. Set aside time to think your own thoughts. Put yourself into "receive" mode. See what happens. Wait.

Patience, Young Grasshopper. Patience. Good things don't happen overnight. Sometimes some bad stuff has to happen first. One forward step at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment