Friday, October 25, 2019

Fleeting Moments

Before I opened the blinds this morning, I noticed an orange hue seeping into the cracks of our window coverings. What kind of sky was producing this lightness? I opened the back door with our east view of the sky and breathed in the moment.

Light fluffy clouds with the sun rising produced this orange glow which piqued my curiosity. "I should snap a picture", I thought to myself. The window on the door was dirty so I would have had to step outside. Even though the morning was already starting out warmer than the previous morning, I silently shivered and thought, "Not now ..."

As I perused my thoughts and wondered what I could write about this morning, I thought of the beautiful sky. I could take a picture, post that and let the orange sky speak for itself. A picture is worth a thousand words, so they say.

Sunrises don't wait. You must stop in the moment you are in and appreciate the sky right then and there. The moment passes quickly.

By the time I got around to deciding I should capture the moment, the moment was gone.

Life is like that. Sometimes, you are given "moments". They are fleeting. You can't stop the moment from progressing. You simply must stop and breathe it in while you are in the middle of it.

We live at a hectic pace. We forget to look up from the moment we are in. The days go by and what do we have to hold onto, if we don't stop and appreciate the small, life affirming moments when they are given to us?

I am the worst offender of all. I put in my time. I wake up in the morning, anticipating the moment when I get to crawl back into bed at night. I work. I earn a pay cheque. I spend my money before it hits the bank. I work for the weekends and when the weekend arrives, I squander the time at my disposal. Rinse and repeat. Such is my life.

It is said that "When you know better, you do better". Apparently I'm a slow learner.

I'll give myself a little credit. I did stop and appreciate the morning sky. Most mornings I would have missed it altogether. One doesn't need to capture every little moment on a camera to make it real. I snapped a picture in my mind and that is worth more than anything. This little moment of clarity was simply a reminder to add more of "this" into my days.

Add little moments that matter to your daily routine and see if you can add a little bit of wonder into your day. One small moment at a time. It all adds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment