Sunday, March 31, 2019

Housecleaning - What a Waste of a Sunday

Let the record show that our house was clean at precisely 4:20 p.m, Sunday, March 31, 2019. It may never be this clean again. This main floor laminate may be the death of me.

I vacuumed the upstairs quickly last night before company dropped by. It wasn't a thorough job (walls, doors and baseboards were not part of last night's quick clean), so before I washed down the floor today I had to re-vacuum and fine tune the job.

While I vacuumed, I started washing sheets. My sheets, the guest room #1 sheets and sheets from guest room #2's two beds. These beds had been clean but the cats have been sleeping on the beds, atop the blankets and/or under the blankets. Cat hair was everywhere. Quilts were washed and/or vacuumed.

While the bedding was being washed, I washed floors.

A very helpful salesperson recommended a floor cleaner and advised me to mix it 50% cleaner and 50% water. I hoped this diluted solution would be the ideal mix so I wouldn't have to rinse the floors after they were washed.

I was not so lucky. Not only did the cleaner leave a slightly sticky film, the scent was overwhelming.

While the floors dried and aired out a bit, I washed the outside of the living room and kitchen windows. I was afraid my window washing may end up more of a window smearing so I stopped and started with the living room and kitchen.

I hoped while I was out window washing, the slightly sticky and overly perfumed floors would dry and all scent and film would be gone by the time I came back inside. This didn't happen but I went into denial and thought I would just leave said floors alone. It would be okay. It was probably just my socks that had picked up the film and scent, right?

Wrong.

I have just finished rinsing all of the floors I previously washed (upstairs and down), with water and vinegar. Surely to goodness this will be good enough. I hope I find some cleaning shortcuts as I go along. If I don't, our cats may have to go.

The windows turned out just fine. What cleanser is the winner of the day? Vinegar and water.

Our house may never be this clean again. I just want it to be known that as of this moment in time, it WAS clean. Please excuse me while I sit and stare at the cleanliness for what remains of the day.

Obviously, I'm not cooking tonight. One can't be expected to clean AND cook too.

No comments:

Post a Comment