Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Appreciating What You Have

I am not a fan of change. I have my favorite things and when they wear out on me, I often have a back up supply of exactly what wore out so I can simply replace that which was worn with a brand new version of itself. Life moves on and I don't have to make a big adjustment. It's a win-win situation.

I have a few pairs of my most favorite black pajama pants. I have found a pseudo replacement for them but the waistband isn't quite as comfortable and they just aren't the same. So I have held onto the originals.

My original black pajama pants are still my favorite go-to nightwear item. The hems are worn, they have been washed so many times that the material is semi-transparent. But the waistband remains as comfortable as it was the day I bought them.

They are my magic pants. These pj's have seen me through weight readjustments and still they stand the test of time. They are a little bit like the sparkly black socks Mom bought me ("The Sock Story"). It will be a very sad day when I must let them go.

I was thinking of my worn pajama pants this morning and found an interesting parallel. I don't just hold onto favorite personal items long after they are worn out and loose their sparkle. I hold onto people in exactly the same way.

Those who have touched my life, even in the smallest of ways, are held near and dear to me for all time. It matters not how that relationship went in the end, the relationship itself added something to my life. A story. A memory. A feeling. It taught me something. I may have let the relationship go but I have held onto its value.

Then there are my forever-friends, sister-friends, family who feel like friends and a myriad of those who are an integral part of my life. It matters not, how these people look, age or change. It is how they make me feel that matters.

Old socks, favorite shoes, comfy pajamas and valuable friendships. Hold onto them, no matter how they look. If you must let them go, never forget how they made you feel.

Appreciate what you have in life and you tend to draw more of the same into your world. You are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment